Monday, July 30, 2012

Asparagus & Broccoli Salad

I've been living in up in Calgary and I'm about to go visit a friend in the little town of Medicine Hat! I've been eating out most evenings so I decided to make a massive salad for lunch to increase my veggie intake. Canadian food can be quite fatty and meaty and so this salad was a nice green change. Canadians are massive fans of raw broccoli in Salads, but I like to give it a light steam to make it easier to digest...

Asparagus & Broccoli Salad

10 sticks of Asparagus
a handful of broccoli
mixed salad leaves (I bought a might of baby spinach and "spring leaves")
a handful of cherry tomatoes cut in half
2 tbl toasted sesame seeds
3-4 tbl cooked brown rice (or couscous/burghul/quinoa) - i had brown rice left over from a previous meal
2 small spring onions sliced finely
2 eggs soft boiled

chop the broccoli into small pieces, steam for 2 minutes, add the asparagus and steam for another minute then plunge them into cold water to stop the cooking process

The easiest way to cook a soft boiled egg is start with your eggs at room temperature. Put the eggs into a saucepan of cold water and gently bring to a boil. Simmer the eggs for 3 minutes and then quickly drain the hot water and plunge the eggs into cold water to stop the cooking process.

Then assemble your salad!

I made a dressing out of 1 tsp mayonnaise, 1 tsp dijon & 2 tsp balsamic vinegar

No comments:

Post a Comment