Saturday, July 7, 2012

Mary's Salad Roll

This is a nostalgic food post, back to my days at Darwin High School when Mary and Peter ran the school canteen and made the worlds best salad roll, well a really good one anyway. I cannot figure out how to spell their last name, it is Polish and sounds like Grow-tears, but spelt completely different, she was always nice and he was an awesome metal work teacher. I remember he eventually quit teaching because he got fed up with getting into trouble for arranging apprenticeships for blokes in year 10 who spent their time at school feeling dumb, smoking pot and wagging. He was one cool dude.

We didn't get bought lunches in primary school, my lunch box usually contained a promite and cheese sandwich (warm and oily from being in my bag all morning), an apple and maybe some sultanas and almonds. I'd always look so forlornly at the other kids with their warm sausage rolls with tomato sauce and would shamelessly finish a friends if they offered it to me... Luckily in my final years of high school I was flush with cash from hours spent toiling away serving fast food and finally buying lunch at school was in my reach.

a cool $2 coin bought you one of Mary's Salad rolls and they were the shit!



Mary's Salad roll
shredded iceberg lettuce
tinned beetroot
grated carrot
tomato
cucumber
red onion
whole egg mayonnaise
white bread roll, preferably with sesame seeds

Sounds simple enough, but I tell you the combination is pretty frick'n good. You can be more healthy and make it with a wholemeal roll or grainy bread and it still tastes pretty great, but for me there is something about a plain, fluffy white roll with sesame seeds that I can rarely go past for this one.

It also came with ham, which was also pretty great... but I'm currently rethinking my relationship with pork so I'm skipping it for today

No comments:

Post a Comment