Thursday, July 5, 2012

Chilli con carne roast potatoes

For this post I used some chilli con carne I had in the freezer so I'm not going to include the recipe, mostly because i made it up at the time and can't remember exactly what I did. I am in the process of trying to develop a recipe for chilli sans carne that I am looking forward to posting soon....

This is more of a "how to get the most enjoyment out of your leftovers" kind of post

I think in Australia we have an unhealthy tradition where when we eat things like chilli con carne or an indian curry we sit down with a bowl full of rice and curry/chilli and that's our meal. It's often meat intensive and kind of monotonous. I think by making a little extra effort with salads and different toppings, you can make your meal so much more interesting and therefore more satisfying. This is my suggestion for baked potatoes with chilli and coleslaw in the tradition of the food court lunch!

coleslaw
1/2 a carrot grated
1 stick celery sliced
some finely sliced cabbage (man this girl eats a lot of cabbage)
3 slices of red onion
a pinch of mint
a handful of parsley


Dressing
1 tbl apple vinegar
1 tbl greek yogurt
1 tsp mayo
1/2 tsp dijon mustard



I roasted two tiny potatoes for about 1 hour at 190 degrees, but you could nuke them in the microwave for 5 min and finish them in the oven, or just nuke them... it's up to you


Additional toppings
butter
sour cream
grated cheese
pineapple
beetroot
JalapeƱo
spring onion
black olives
BBQ'd corn cut off the cob


yummo!

No comments:

Post a Comment