Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Roast Veggie Dinner


I have always enjoyed a roast dinner, the meat smells so nice cooking in the oven and the slowly rendered fat can be ever so tasty… but as I often cook for myself, the thought of making even the smallest roast meat dinner leaves me with the thought of huge amounts of leftover (usually dry) meat. Plus lets face it, eating a big pile of roast meat isn’t the best thing for us. I honestly don’t think I enjoy it enough (unless very hungover), I’d rather have my meat spread out over time in smaller portions…

So I say skip the meat and just eat the veggies, which have always been my favourite part anyway. I went a little banana’s with the amount of roast veggies I cooked up and am currently swimming in leftovers-but cold roast pumpkin is the shiz.

These days everyone seems to be saying “eat a rainbow” and it’s safe to say I just did!


listed in order of size cut from largest to smallest...
Jap Pumpkin
Red onions (cut in half)
Sweet potato
Parsnips
Royal Blue Potatoes
Purple garlic (left unpeeled)

Thyme
Rosemary
Salt
Olive oil

I left the skin on the potatoes, pumpkin and sweet potato because it's supposed to be good for you – so when it’s clean I try to leave it on. I think the trick with roasting vegie’s is patience. Do it on a cold Sunday afternoon when you have time to keep an eye on it and wait the 1 to 1 ½ hours it takes for them to roast and caramelise properly. I had my oven at 180oC, but it’s really dreadful at maintaining heat so everything took almost 2 hours in the end, but my oven is crap and at one stage my little thermometer said it was only 140oC.

I sprinkle a small amount of olive oil over everything and give it a gentle stir before putting it in the oven (alternatively you could use a non stick pan and use very little) – I justify the fat because this is a meatless meal…  After the first ~20 minutes in the oven take them out and give them another gentle stir, freeing up any parts that are sticking. I am careful not to mush things up too much, but it isn’t exactly a disaster if it does happen. but becaureful with your onions, those baby's are delicate..



I sautéed some mushrooms (about 10 large white buttons) I’d prefer swiss browns but they didn’t have any at the green grocer. I cooked them down for almost 30 minutes on a low heat, with a bunch of thyme and couple tsp of olive oil. At the end (after nice brown shot here) I added a splash of mirin (basically a sweet sherry/brandy substitute) a dash of whorechestire sauce and then a blob of low fat sour cream. Which looks yuck but tastes yum...

I justify the fat because this is a meatless meal… Plus it’s a roast which is not exactly a super low fat meal at the best of times, my philosophy is to enjoy it properly and have it infrequently.

I served it all with some steamed cabbage and peas



Pictured here was what I ate, which was way too much and I felt a little sick afterwards. I think maybe I should have skipped the sour cream addition… or just eaten less. I think I’d just spent so much time thinking about it I couldn’t help myself…

 Stay  tuned for left over  adventures J

 Alternatively  - skip the mushrooms and…

*in the final 10 minutes of roasting you could sprinkle feta and walnuts over the vegies

*add red capsicum, zucchini and eggplant to your roasting dish and eat with grilled haloumi fresh mint

No comments:

Post a Comment