Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Larb Chicken Salad

This recipe is one I've learnt not to experiment with and follow to the letter. It's deceptive in it's simplicity. I used to try and add more things like coriander or nuts, but it needs nothing else I promise. Traditionally it is eaten inside a lettuce leaf similar to like san choy bow. It also tastes great with jasmine rice or vermicelli noodles. I served it along side two Indonesian curry's (that I didn't have the energy to photograph, but I promise I will post them in the future).
 
These photos are from when I made a double batch with pork, which is traditional, but wasn't as well received as chicken normally is (the butcher only had chicken breast mince that didn't have a scrap of fat in it which would have been dry and grainy). The pork was also a bit smelly and I guess that put some people off... Lesson learned, some people aren't big fans of pork. But as a chicken dish it is usually a bit hit.
 
for one batch you'll need... 
 
 
2 tbl uncooked jasmine rice
500 gm chicken mince
2 tbl finely chopped lemongrass
1/3 cup water
3 tbl fish sauce
3 tbl lime juice
1/2 cup of mint
1 red onion finely diced
3 spring onions finely chopped
3 small hot red chilli's (seeds removed if you want it mild)
  
 
The weirdest part of the recipe is how you prepare the rice. First you dry roast it in a fry pan until it browns. Then crush it in a mortar and pestle until it looks like crushed nuts. It adds texture to the salad and is missed if you forget to put it in.
 
 
Finely dice the mint, onions, lemon grass and chilli
 
 
Cutting up these vegetables is the only really time consuming step. I use my mandolin for the red onion, it makes a huge difference!
 
 
To cook the chicken mince, put the lemon grass, 1/3 cup water and meat into a fry pan on a moderate heat and continue to stir until the meat is cooked through but not browned.
 
Carefully drain off the water and add the meat to the salad with the crushed roasted rice. I like adding the meat when it's hot because it slightly cooks the onions and mellows their flavour slightly.
 
 
 
It's best eaten still slightly warm or at room temperature, but always great the next day in your lunch box!

No comments:

Post a Comment