Sunday, June 17, 2012

White Soup

It’s been cold and rainy lately, so my comfort eating has been going gang busters... chocolate anyone? In an attempt to cut back on the over eating, I decided to make some vegetable soup for lunch. Unfortunately for me, the strong flavours of pumpkin soup make me queasy and although potato and leek is usually my winter soup staple, I felt the need to change it up a little (plus leeks are $3 each in the shop). I moseyed on down to my local fruit and vege and bought my favourite winter vegetables, I know it may seem odd to some people that I enjoy celery, cabbage, swede and parsnip, but if you feel the same way – read on about the joys of white soup…


White Soup
1 large swede (it was the size of a small melon)
2 large parsnips
2 onions (I had one brown, one red)
3-4 sticks celery
4 cloves garlic
¼ of a cabbage
2 cups stock
400gm tin cannellini beans
Big bunch of parsley
Salt to taste

  1. Fry the onion and celery until translucent, add garlic and fry for another minute of so
  2. Add stock, diced swede, diced parsnip, tinned beans and enough water to cover, bring to boil for about 15 minutes until the root vegetables are soft
  3.  Add shredded cabbage and parsley and allow to come back to boil and simmer for only a minute or so, otherwise the cabbages will get overcooked and smelly
  4. Blend with hand held mixer until smooth
  5. Enjoy – I had smoked salmon on a piece of grainy bread, it was the perfect accompaniment!

I thought it might need some cream or yogurt the way cauliflower soup does, but I think the tin of white beans makes it creamy, although a little grainy. I would have added chives if mine were old enough to harvest – but sadly it was parsley alone. I would normally have added a little bacon, but after speaking with a woman last week who used to raise pigs, I’m starting to rethink my whole stance on pork and other pig products…. but I think this is enough for today…

No comments:

Post a Comment