Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Tuna Coleslaw


I apologise for my silence... I'm in the middle of a rather early midlife crisis - I'm feeling super excited about my new path - just struggling to organise my life how I'd like it to be. I have been taking a few photos of my dinners and tonight I'm featuring my tuna coleslaw I made last week. It's funny, because I make up these dishes, usually while walking around the supermarket and even during the cooking, only to google them and discover that I'm not so original after all... oh well, I guess there are some basic food pairings like tuna and mayonnaise that many people love to play around with. So this recipe is a mixture of three of my favourite things, coleslaw + waldorf salad +  tuna! I LOVE my mandolin slicer/grater kit. I recommend them to anyone who likes salads, stir fry's and sliced potatoes on the BBQ. They make salads super quick and easy. I bought mine from a display in a shopping centre - best $35 I ever spent on a kitchen appliance

Salad
1 carrot thinly grated
shredded cabbage equal to carrot volume
1/2 an apple julienned green apples are nice, but I used a sundowner
 (to cut the apple I use the thin slicer on my mandolin then cut them into thin strips)
2 sticks young celery
1/4 red onion cut with same method to apple
2 handfuls of toasted walnuts
Tin of tuna (in spring water for the health conscious)
small handful of sultanas
mint to garnish

It might takes really nice with way more mint - perhaps next time

dressing
1 tsp mayonnaise
1/2 tsp dion mustard
2 tsp olive oil
2 tsp apple cider vinegar/lemon juice

to be honest those dressing quantities are entirely made up, But the ratios are pretty spot on for how I like it. If you are watching your weight omit the olive oil and 1/2 the mayo. I go easy on dressing because I hate to drown my coleslaw. I prefer to eat small amounts of full fat as opposed to more of low fat/diet options. So I eat real egg mayo, which is like 80% fat, but I just don't eat a lot of it. Fat free mayo freaks me out, I can't understand how they can make something that is supposed to be made from egg yolk and oil - 97% fat free. I think they shouldn't be allowed to call it mayonnaise the same way you can't call butter/oil blended spreads "butter" they are called "spread". true story.




No comments:

Post a Comment