Saturday, March 30, 2013

Classic Bliss Balls with Activated Almonds

Bliss balls, vegan truffles, protein balls... call them what you like, these popular sweets are easy to make and super yummy. I've used a recipe from Bliss Organic CafĂ©'s website, but there are hundreds of recipes online. You could certainly experiment heaps with this recipe, but I'm going to stick to the original to begin with.
 
I thought I'd experiment with "activating" my almonds. Which basically means soaking them for 12 hours then drying them out in a low oven or dehydrator. It is said to make them easier to digest. There is currently no scientific evidence to support this, however I think nutrition science has a long way to go and don't think it can hurt. Pete Evans from MKR got into quite the controversy about them late last year.
 
I soaked a cup of almonds for 12 hours, put them in the oven on low (~60-80 degrees) for 2 hours, turned off the oven and left them in there for another 2 hours until they were dry to touch. I have no idea if they are dry enough and storing them in the fridge to be safe.
 
 
I'm being very "super foodie" with this recipe, raw cacao powder, activated almonds and coconut. Except I don't like the "super foods" label. I think it's misleading and unbalanced. I'm sure science is discovering new and exciting things about specific foods, but I can't help but wonder whose paying for it? Natural sultanas, organic apples and good old white cabbage are also good for you and a whole lot cheaper than goji berries and kale.
 
It's just food people. Variety and moderation is the key.

Bliss Balls
 
 
1 cup activated Almonds
1 cup dates pitted
1 cup prunes pitted
1/4 cup Sunflower seeds
1/4 cup Pumpkin seeds
2 tbl Sesame seeds
2 tbl Shredded Coconut - extra for decorating
2-3 tbl raw Cacao powder
 
In a food processor putting the ingredients in the order above one by one.
 
 
first almonds, give a few pulses
 
 
then dates, pulse
 
 
then prunes pulse...
 
It was at this stage that my tiny food processor started struggling and I had to do the mixture in 1/4 batches to get an even consistency. A bit of a pain but worth it.
 
Add the sunflower and pumpkin seeds and pulse again. If you don't want to recognise them in the final product add them earlier. If you like your balls chunky, add them later. 
 
If you have a super powerful food processor add the sesame seeds, coconut and cacao powder and blend into a dark, sticky ball.
 
If your food processor challenged like me, put the sticky date, almond, prune & sunflower/pumpkin seed mixture in a bowl and mix in the sesame seeds, coconut and cacao.

 
  I used a metal spoon to press it through

 
Then roughly brake the entire mixture into tsp sized pieces

 
With damp hands roll them into balls and then coat them in coconut

 
Try really hard to not the eat the entire batch

 
 Chill in the fridge to firm.

 
It's that easy!
 
Happy Easter!

3 comments:

  1. Printing this and making it on the weekend! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cacaobliss has also been shown to increase brain power, support healthy bowel movements, build stronger bones, and relax menstrual cramping.

    ReplyDelete