Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Grilled Pineapple, Cashew and Quinoa Stir-Fry/Salad

A friend of mine recently made this for me and I was blown away. It can be eaten warm, at room temperature or cold.
 
I googled "grilled pineapple and quinoa" and found this 3 down. It's written like it was their original invention, which is totally awesome because I think it's genius. Fried rice, without the rice! I modified the vegetables, purely because of what I had in the fridge. Also in the original recipe they fry the onion in sesame oil, which I think is a mistake because it loses its sesame aroma quickly at high heat.

Grilled Pineapple, Cashew and Quinoa Stir-Fry/Salad

 
1 cup quinoa
1 zucchini
1 carrot
3 spring onions
1/2 cup unsalted roasted cashews
1 onion finely diced
5 cm knob ginger finely diced
3-5 cloves garlic finely diced
1 pineapple
3 eggs
1 lime
1/2 cup peas
sesame oil
soy sauce

 
Place 1 cup quinoa with 2 cups water, bring to boil and simmer 12 minutes, drain and set aside.
 
 
While the quinoa is cooking, finely dice up the vegetables and get started on your pineapple. Cut into 1.5cm thick discs and remove skin.

 
This one was super sweet, hello Sunshine Coast!

 
The Pineapple grilled really well on the baby Q weber, 3-4 minutes on each side on a low heat.
 
It also works well in a flat sandwich press.

 
Dice up your grilled pineapple, I wish I'd cut mine up finer because I wanted pineapple in every bite.
 

Add the onion to a pan or wok with 1 tbl vegetable oil.
 
 
Cook for 3-5 minutes until it starts to caramelise.
 
 
Add the carrot, fry for 2-3 minutes 

 
Add frozen peas, cook another minute or so

 
Add finely diced zucchini, fry another minute

 
Add white and some of the green parts of the spring onion (keep a little if the green tips for a garnish). Fry another minute.

 
And the cooked quinoa, a generous splash of sesame oil and soy sauce
 
 
Add cashews and grilled pineapple pieces, warm through
 
 
Quickly cook your omelette, with 3 eggs beaten well with 1-2 tbl water
 

 Roughly chop and stir through.
 
 
Add the green of the spring onion and a squeeze of lime to garnish. 
 
 
 The cashew, egg and grilled pineapple combo is so yummy. More cashews I say!
 
Enjoy!
 

2 comments:

  1. Great Recipes For Stir Fry!. This is the best recipes I saw and they are truly delicious. I'm sure my son will like this recipe, I will try this recipe for our dinner. I wish I can do it right like the photos given here. Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious! Thank you for idea. I will definitely try this recipe. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete